Yep. 10 ways.
Do you think I can come up with 10 whole ways how to stick out like a sore thumb?
I would imagine that I could come up with more than that…but let’s stick with 10!
- Marry a man from a totally different country than you. (He is not only from that country, but he is immersed in the culture and lifestyle as well).
- Have four sons. Throw in a comment or two about how you don’t mind having 4 boys, and you will stick out even more! (My four boys right after my youngest was born)
- Dress counter culturally. Well, this one is a big one. What is really funny is that I forget about it myself. I don’t generally feel like the odd one out until someone reminds me..”Hey, you dress weird. Why is that?” I generally have to take a minute and remind myself “Oh yeah, I look different on the outside than what I feel on the inside.” and proceed to tell them why.
- Attend a church where no English words are spoken the whole time. If they are, it is usually a word that they learned here, something to describe Americans, or such like. I have attended this church for over 8 years, almost 9. I have attended almost every Sunday for about 4 years and many of them before that. Almost everyone in that church building, their relatives that live in other states, families that have no idea anything about me know my name, who I am etc. because I am that “American girl that attends a Russian church.” However, I can tell you who usually sees me on Sunday and who pretends I am invisible. You really feel like a sore thumb then!
- Love to read…Yup. I got this one down. I have read only 46 books this year. Yes, I do mean only 46 books. I have been way too busy, I don’t like it, but it makes me read less. I usually read between 30-50 books a month, not in three months!
- I have solar panels on my roof. We have a solar water heater connected to our water heater that runs on gas. The solar helps heat the water when the sun is shining, and supposedly saves us money! I get cars that slow down, walkers slow down and stare as they go by.
- I homeschool my boys. I get all kinds of comments on this one. From “Good for you!” to “You are nuts.” and the ever popular “You should just put them in school. Think of all the time you would have.” I think what they don’t realize is that while homeschooling is not a picnic, the pros of it really outweigh the cons for me right now. I get to spend all this time with my kids, they keep me young and make me old all at the same time!
- I love to hike the small mountains around my hometown. I don’t want to do anything too bad, but just enough to build my muscles, help me feel energetic. On the plus side, we can make anything into a homeschool lesson. Just ask our kids!
- I have a fairly small family in my opinion, but I am one of eleven. That makes us stick out like a sore thumb as I have brothers the same age as my boys, there are tons of us! We are a giant happy bunch! My children never lack for friends in the family though!
- Last, but not least. I don’t drink coffee. I drink tea. I don’t just drink a little tea. I am a teaoholic. I love tea and will drink all your tea in the house if you let me! Thankfully most of it that I drink is herbal though! So that is all….10 ways to stick out like a sore thumb. You know, I am pretty good at it too!